Sunday, March 11, 2007

So where did all the money go?

Well, here's one of the possibilities:


O'Beirne's staff posed blunt questions to some candidates about domestic politics: Did you vote for George W. Bush in 2000? Do you support the way the president is fighting the war on terror? Two people who sought jobs with the U.S. occupation authority said they were even asked their views on Roe v. Wade .
Many of those chosen by O'Beirne's office to work for the Coalition Provisional Authority, which ran Iraq's government from April 2003 to June 2004, lacked vital skills and experience. A 24-year-old who had never worked in finance -- but had applied for a White House job -- was sent to reopen Baghdad's stock exchange. The daughter of a prominent neoconservative commentator and a recent graduate from an evangelical university for home-schooled children were tapped to manage Iraq's $13 billion budget, even though they didn't have a background in accounting.

WaPo, September 17, 2006, A01

Geez- I'd send one of my kids, but I don't think they'd pass the screening...

I woke up about 3 this morning and could not go back to sleep. Finally drifted off about 10, and I've been out of sorts all day. But since it was Sunday (a feast day! Yay!) I made myself a nice big stack of pancakes with butter and syrup, and I also ate up the leftover Canadian bacon from the party. Oh, it was tasty! Burnt my tongue just a little bit on the bacon...

So I've been readnig this keen book about Chronicles- that is, the sort of chronicles that historians in the Middle Ages wrote, like Geoffery of Monmouth, and Jean de Froissart. The differences in purpose and approach changes how we can approach them, as well as their own veracity when written. For example, Geoffery of Monmouth keeps referring to an 'ancient book' that he's getting his information on Arthur and such from. Did that ancient book even exist, or what he claiming it as a way to bolster the authenticity of his work? There's also the issues created by the political bent of the writer, and the intended audience. It's a pretty good book so far. Only problem I've having is that I keep drifting off while reading.

I still haven't figured out what to wear for Easter- Wanda suggested that I make something. I just might. I have a couple of weeks yet to come up with something. In the meantime, I might want to slap something together for Coronet- I'm really short on clothes that fit, and I'd like to look halfway decent. I have that dark rust-colored wool- might be able to put a houpp with small sleeves together- there might be enough. I still need to get upstairs and clean the sewing room and my machine, and... bleh. Sounds like work.

UPDATED:

Just a thought, but has anyone else noticed that Tony Snow looks a lot like Max Headroom? Just sayin'...

No comments: